Opening an account with Amalgamated Bank is a simple process, just go to AmalgamatedBank.com. Then go to the top right corner and select “Open an Account”. You can open a checking and savings accounts.
Online account opening
- How do I open an Amalgamated Bank account?
- What information do I need to open an account?
A detailed list of required information for all account owners, individual and joint, can be found on the introductory page of the application process.
- What is the minimum balance I need to deposit? What are the monthly fees?
Please refer to the bank’s Terms and Conditions. Account Opening Disclosures.
- How do I fund an account that I open online?
To fund an account online, you can either transfer funds from your account at another financial institution, or if you are already an Amalgamated Bank customer, you can transfer funds from your existing account. If transferring funds from an account at another bank, you will need the external bank’s ABA routing number and account number for the existing account. Whichever method of funding you choose, please ensure that sufficient funds are available to be transferred.
- How can I make additional deposits into my new account?
You can make additional deposits by using the mobile app, external transfers, Amalgamated Bank ATM network (Branch and Allpoint+®), physical branch, or by mail.
Checks deposited by mail requires additional steps. Make check payable to “Amalgamated Bank” and mail to Consumer Banking, Amalgamated Bank, 275 Seventh Avenue, New York, NY 10001. Please include your account number in the memo line. In order for us to fund your account by check, it must meet the following requirements:
- The check must be signed and dated.
- The check must be payable to Amalgamated Bank, to you, or to “Cash.” Please be advised that, for security purposes, it is not recommended to mail checks payable to “Cash.” If the check is not payable directly to “Amalgamated Bank,” it must be endorsed properly. (Please do not endorse checks made payable to Amalgamated Bank.)
- If you wish to mail a check that is made payable to you, please endorse it on the back with your signature and, below your signature, write “For Deposit Only in Account” followed by your account number.
- You must include instructions indicating the account to which the check should be credited. You can do this bywriting your account number on the memo line or reverse side of the check. (You do not need to use a deposit slip.)
Deposits made by check are accepted at our sole discretion. We reserve the right to refuse, return, or limit any deposit you make to your account. Please refer to our Account Opening Disclosures for more information.
- How will I be notified when my account is open?
You will be notified via E-mail and U.S. Mail when your account has been opened. You’ll also receive instructions about viewing your new account information online at that time.
- How long will it take to receive my ATM/Debit Card?
You will receive your Debit or ATM Card within ten business days after we have approved your application and opened your account.
- What happens if I do not agree to the account terms and conditions?
If you do not agree to the account terms and conditions, you will not be able to open an account with us.
- Am I eligible to open an account online if I am not a U.S. citizen?
Customers that are a U.S Citizen or a Resident alien are eligible to open an account online. Non-resident aliens can visit our nearest branch location to open an account. You can find our locations by visiting our website Find a branch or ATM
- Can I save my application and finish it later?
Yes. During the account opening process, you will have the option to save your applications by selecting the “Save for Later or Cancel” button. An application number will appear at the top of the page, and the bank will send you an email with a link to finalize your account. When you click on the link “Finalize your application”, a new window will open with your application number. You will need to input your social security number and date of birth; this information will provide access to complete your application. If you need help along the way, you can call us at 800-662-0860.
- Can I use my Post Office Box to open an account?
You can give us a Post Office Box as a mailing address, but we must also have your home address for our records. Our account application process allows you to make this distinction.
- I do not have an email address. Can I still open an account?
In order to open an account online, the primary account owner and co-applicant (if applicable) must have an e-mail address. If you (or your co-applicant, if applicable) do not have an email address, please visit any one of our branches to open an account.
- What if I do not have any of the pieces of identification on your list?
If you do not have any of the identification documents we have requested, you may still be able to open an account at one of our branches. Before you come to see us, please call the branch where you plan to open your account or contact our call center at 800-662-0860 to discuss the identification documentation you are missing prior to visiting us at a branch.
- What is an ownership type?
An ownership type indicates whether an account has one signer (an individual account) or two signers (a joint account), and whether or not a beneficiary has been designated. If you are opening a Checking account, you cannot designate a beneficiary.
- How long will it take to open an account when I apply online?
If there are no exceptions during the review process, your account will be opened immediately. You will receive an email confirmation with your account number at the end of the process and an invitation to enroll in online banking. If there are exceptions and further review is required, we will contact you directly. If that is the case, you can expect to receive your email confirmation that your account has been opened within two (2) business days.
- Do I have to be a union member to bank with Amalgamated?
No, you do not have to be a member of a union to bank with us.